Ramble On

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Our Icy Beaver Pond

Last weekend we arrived Friday night after dark.  It had been a week of temperatures below freezing, so when I got up on Saturday morning to take Tessie out, I was greeted by a view of the beaver pond over in the hollow - frozen solid.  I snapped a nice Instagram photo here later in the day.

I had a good chat with Brian (of Breakfast at Epiphany's fame - check the blog list to the right!) about the frozen pond.  He asked if we skated on it, but since I grew up in Florida, that was never a skill I picked up.  Mary may know how, but she's never let on, so the answer was no.

I have no doubt it would be safe on many mornings, but by the end of the weekend, the temps were holding in the 40's and the ice was starting to melt.  There were clear patches near the dam, and especially further back where the streams come into the pond.

I took a second photo on Monday afternoon.  The grass in the fens along the front of the dam is doing well with the little sunshine it is getting, and the lodge is barely visible as a bright spot right at left center of this photo - there are some rather large branches piled on it.

This is my first post of the year - that is the longest I've gone without a post since I started the blog in 2007.  I picked up a lot of extracurricular activities this winter; they will give me plenty to write about, but I won't be able to post as often.  I'll set a goal of trying to be sure and make 100 posts during 2015 - I love the writing discipline and exercise of this blog, and I hope my readers will stay with me.

Happy 2015!

2 comments:

posumcop said...

Still here and hanging on every word!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the encouragement! The blog is an important part of "my life in the Valley" - just found it a challenge to keep up the last month!