Ramble On

Monday, November 23, 2015

The Replacement


Somewhere around 1988, I became a convert to GM cars.  We've had four of them since then - all of them providing transportation well into the 100K miles range.  I even drove the first one, a 1988 Oldsmobile, to LA, passing 111,111 miles on the way out of DC - and 122,222 on the way back - before finally trading it in with 145K miles!

The most recent iteration was a 2005 Chevy Equinox, which I happened to purchase from Carmax in 2010 with 40K miles on it.  The price was great, and my first experience with Carmax was excellent.  We subsequently sold our 1999 Malibu to them (120K miles), leaving us with the Equinox and a 2003 Impala (135K miles).

Flash forward to the little vacation we took out in the Valley early this month.  We were on our way to check out the new brewery in Woodstock when we hit a buck.  Mary and I were both okay, but neither the buck nor the Equinox (116K miles) made it.


I took a few photos of the car that night in the darkness.  You can make out that it was a serious accident and that we were fortunate to not be hurt.  But you still don't get the impression the car is totaled - and it took State Farm about a week to figure that out for us as well.

Meanwhile I rented a car from Enterprise for a week and checked in with State Farm.  When they finally told us it was going to be totaled, I started shopping for a replacement - a late model Chevy Equinox.

The one I eventually settled on is a 2012, at the same Carmax where I got the old one.  This time the car only has 24K miles on it.  We've had it for a week now, and everything seems just great with it.

We'll be taking it out to the Valley next weekend...maybe we'll make it up to that brewery in Woodstock at last.  But we probably won't take it out much at night just now, not while the rut is on!

No comments: